Print Friendly Recipe
Serves/Makes:10 pounds fruit cake.
- 4-1/2 cups (1050 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml). baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). cloves
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). mace
- 2 cups (475 ml) butter or Crisco
- 2 cups (475 ml) brown sugar
- 10 eggs, well beaten
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). candied cherries
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). candied pineapple (green &
- 1 lb (.5 kg). chopped dates
- 1 lb (.5 kg). currants
- 1 lb (.5 kg). citron, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). candied orange & lemon peel
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). nuts (or more)
- 1 cup (225 ml) honey
- 1 cup (225 ml) gumdrops, cut fine
- 1 cup (225 ml) molasses
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cider
- Sift flour once.
- Measure flour, add baking powder and spices and sift three times together.
- Cream shortening thoroughly; add sugar gradually and cream together until light and fluffy.
- Add egg, fruit, peel, nuts, honey, molasses and cider.; Gradually add flour and stir to combine.
- Bake in 4 greased 8"x8"x2" pans, lined with greased brown paper or parchment paper.
- Cook in slow oven, 250 degrees (125 C.) for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.