Print Friendly Recipe
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) granulated sugar
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) pitted dates
- 1 cup (225 ml) boiling water
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- Toffee Sauce:
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) butter
- 5 tbsp (70 ml) brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) heavy cream
- Soften the butter in a large mixing bowl, then add the sugar; cream them until pale and light.
- Sift the flour and baking powder onto a plate.
- Beat the egg with a little flour, into the creamed mixture.
- Continue beating for a few minutes before mixing in the rest of the flour.
- Flour the dates lightly and chop finely.
- Put dates into a bowl and pour the boiling water over them. Mix in the baking soda and the vanilla.
- Gradually blend this mixture into the batter, mixing
- in well.
- Transfer to an 11-by-7-inch, lightly greased cake pan,
- spreading out evenly.
- Bake in a 350 degree (175 C.) oven for 40 minutes.
- Toffee Sauce:
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan and add the sugar and the cream.
- Simmer gently for 3 minutes.
- Cut the
- hot pudding into squares and cover with the sauce.
- Place under a hot broiler until it bubbles. Take care, as it burns easily.
- Serve at once.
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.