Print Friendly Recipe
- Rolled cookies with a date-filled center
- Angela Creighton
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) pitted dates
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) white sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) water
- 1 tsp (5 ml) grated lemon zest
- 4 tsp (20 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) finely chopped walnuts
- 3-1/2 cups (825 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) baking soda
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) salt
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) vanilla extract
- Chop dates.
- Place dates into small saucepan and add 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar, dash of salt, and water.
- Cook, stirring constantly until mixture is soft.
- Remove from heat.
- Add grated lemon rind, lemon juice, and chopped nuts.
- Mix well and chill.
- Cream butter and gradually add 1/2 cup (125 ml) white sugar and 1 cup (225 ml) lightly packed brown sugar.
- Beat well.
- Beat 2 eggs until thick and add to creamed mixture one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Measure into a sifter the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and 3/4 tsp (4 ml) of salt.
- Sift dry ingredients into creamed mixture about 1/4 at a time.
- Combine thoroughly after each addition.
- Chill until firm.
- Divide dough into 3 parts.
- Roll out 1 part at a time into a rectangle.
- Spread with date filling.
- Roll up jelly roll fashion in waxed paper.
- Chill several hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- With sharp knife, slice rolls into 1/4 inch thick slices and place on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake 10 to 13 minutes.
- Let cool.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.