Print Friendly Recipe
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 2 cups (475 ml) sifted gold medal flour
- 3-1/2 tsp (17.5 ml). baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml). cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). cloves
- 1-1/3 cups (325 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) soft shortening
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml). vanilla
- 3 eggs (1/2 to 1/3 cup)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Grease and flour 2 8" or 9" layer pans OR 13x9" oblong pan.
- Sift together into bowl flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmet and cloves.
- Add sugar, shortening, milk and vanilla; beat 2 minutes.
- Add eggs; beat 2 minutes more.
- Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake 8" layers 35 to 40 minutes, 9" layers 30 to 35 minutes, oblong 40 to 45 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Cool before frosting.
- From Betty Crocker Cookbook (1955).
Book lists 6 other spice cakes (applesauce, buttermilk, etc.).
Hope this is the one you were requesting.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.