Print Friendly Recipe
- A German dessert loaf
Serves/Makes:1 loaf (30 slices)
- 3-3/4 cups (875 ml) flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) lukewarm milk
- 3 tsp (15 ml).yeast
- 8 Tbsp (125 ml). softened sweet butter
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml). lard (or butter)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml). vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml). rum
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- grated peel of 1/2 lemon
- 1 cup (225 ml) slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) candied lemon peel
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) candied orange peel
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) raisins
- For basting:
- 6 Tbsp (90 ml). milk (room temperature)
- 8 Tbsp (125 ml). butter
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) powered sugar
- Sift the flour into a bowl and make a crater in the center.
- Into the crater, add 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the confectioners' sugar and 1/4 cup (60 ml) of the milk.
- Sprinkle the yeast over the milk and dust the yeast with a little flour.
- Let the yeast develop for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add the butter, lard, egg, salt, remaining sugar, vanilla extract, rum, cinnamon, grated lemon peel, slivered almonds, candied lemon and orange peels, and raisins.
- Add only enough of the remaining milk to make dough pliable.
- Knead thoroughly and cover the dough with a damp towel and let it rise overnight.
- Knead again for 1 minute then shape the dough into a loaf and put it on a large buttered baking sheet.
- Use your fingertips to push back into the dough any raisins that may have popped up to prevent scorching. Baste the loaf with tbsp of milk and bake in a
- preheated oven at 350 degrees (175 C.) for approximately 50 minutes. Stollen must turn golden brown.
- Test with a toothpick to make sure it is done.
- Baste the stollen generously with butter while it is still hot, then sprinkle with powered sugar.
- Repeat this process in order to attain a nice white surface and to help keep the stollen fresh and moist for several weeks.
- It's best to store for at least a week before
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.