Print Friendly Recipe
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). yellow squash, coarsely cubed
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) freshly ground pepper, or more water
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter
- 1 cup (225 ml) saltine crackers, crumbled
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1 cup (225 ml) shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) pecans, finely chopped
- Place the squash, onion, salt, and pepper in a large saucepan.
- Add as little water as you dare, none if you can keep the heat low and stir the squash every minute or two, and 1/2 inch of water if you have other things on your mind.
- Cover and cook the squash until soft, stirring now and then to prevent scorching.
- Drain the squash, then return it to the pan or a bowl and stir in the butter.
- Taste and add more pepper if wanted. (Squash can use plenty of it.) Check for salt, too.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Butter a 1 1/2-quart baking dish well.
- Stir the crumbled crackers into the squash, and turn into the casserole.
- Pour the milk over the squash and sprinkle with the cheese and pecans.
- Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes, until the milk is absorbed, the squash is bubbly, and the cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven, let stand 5 minutes, then served hot.
- This recipe is easily doubled. Bake it in a large shallow baking dish to permit evaporation of moisture in the squash.
The Florida Cookbook - Jeanne Voltz
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.