Print Friendly Recipe
- A tasty homestyle chicken dish for any time of year
- S. Neethling
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cake flour
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) milk
- 2 cups (475 ml) or more cooked chicken, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Scone hearts:
- 2 cups (475 ml) cake flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chilled butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) grated cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) milk
- 1 egg yolk
- 5 tsp (25 ml) milk
- Saute the onion and green pepper in the butter or margarine until just soft.
- Sprinkle with the cake flour and stir until well mixed.
- Add the cream of chicken soup and milk and bring to a boil over moderate heat, stirring continuously.
- Add the chicken, lemon juice, salt and pepper and mix.
- Grease a 3 guart to 4 quarts (3775 ml) ovenproof pie dish or spray it with non-stick cooking spray.
- Transfer the chicken filling to the dish.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- Sift together the cake flour, baking powder and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl.
- Rub in the butter or margarine with the fingertips until well mixed.
- Add the cheese and stir to mix.
- Cut the milk in quickly with a spatula to form a workable pastry dough.
- Place the pastry on a floured pastry board and gently pres it to about 1 inch thick.
- Cut out heart shapes (or round) with a biscuit cutter or a sharp knife.
- Arrange the hearts around the filling and brush them with the egg yolk mixed with 5 tsp (25 ml) milk.
- Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the temperature to 400 degrees (200 C.) and bake for another 5 to 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve hot.
- This recipe is from the South African cookbook, Winning Recipes from Huisgenoot by Annette Human.
It is definitely a favorite dish of all who have tasted it.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.