Print Friendly Recipe
Serves/Makes: 16 servings
- 2 lbs (.9 kg) dried black (turtle) beans
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) best-quality olive oil
- 3 cups (700 ml) diced yellow onions
- 12 cloves garlic; crushed
- 1 meaty ham bone or 2 smoked ham hocks
- 8 quarts (7575 ml) water
- 3-1/2 tbsp (50 ml) ground cumin
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) dried oregano
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) coarse (kosher) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cayenne pepper
- 8 tbsp (125 ml) chopped fresh italian -parsley
- 1-3/4 lbs (.8 kg). fresh garlic sausage, up to 2
- 6 sweet italian sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 hot italian sausage links, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 lb (.5 kg). bratwurst, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium-size sweet red-peppers, cored and seeded
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dry sherry
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) dark brown sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh lemon juice
- sour cream
- Soak the black beans in water to cover
- Heat 1 cup (225 ml) of the oil in a large heavy stock pot over low heat.
- Add the onions and garlic and saut, until the onions are limp, about 10 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the beans and add to the stock pot.
- Add the ham bone and 6 quarts (5675 ml) of the water.
- Stir in the cumin, oregano, bay leaves, salt, pepper, cayenne, and 3 tbsp (45 ml) of the parsely.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook uncovered at a slow rolling boil for 2 hours, skimming foam from the top and stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Place the garlic sausage in a medium-size saucepan and add the remaining 2 quarts (1900 ml) water; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 40 minutes; drain.
- Remove casings and cut into 1/2-inch slices.
- Heat the remaining 1/4 cup (60 ml) oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Add the Italian sausages and saute until browned.
- Remove the sausages with a slotted spoon.
- In the same skillet, saute the bratwurst until browned.
- Remove with a slotted spoon.
- After 2 hours of cooking, process 2 cups (475 ml) of the beans in a food processor fitted with a steel blade until smooth and return to the pot. Continue to cook for 30 minutes.
- Add all the sausages and the red peppers and cook for another 30 minutes.
- Remove the ham bone from the soup, shred the meat and return to the pot.
- Stir in the sherry, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Cook over medium heat until the beans are very soft and the soup is thick, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining 5 tbsp (70 ml) chopped parsley.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Ladle the soup into soup bowls and dollop each serving with sour cream.
- From The Silver Palate Good Times Cookbook.
" Our black bean soup is a Silver Palate staple. In this recipe we've dressed it up with lots of hot and garlicky sausages, sweet red peppers, a bit of brown sugar, and unusual spices. This makes a meal when served with a
crisp, tart green salad."
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.