Print Friendly Recipe
- Excellent Taste - Quick and easy to make
- Gerald (original source unknown)
Serves/Makes:6 8 oz. jars approx.
- 5 cups (1175 ml) chopped rhubarb
- 5 cups (1175 ml) white sugar (I have substituted with up to 3.5 cups
- sugar substitute)
- 1 20 oz (560 grm). can crushed pinapple (19 oz (532 grm). will do)
- 2 3 oz (84 grm). boxes stawberry or cherry Jello
- 2 blocks parafin wax
- 6 8 oz (224 grm). sealer jars or equivalent.
- Prepare your containers:
- Boil the jars and lids in water to ensure bacteria is killed.
- On low temp, heat a couple of blocks of parffin wax until it becomes liquid. I have used a recycled jam tin for this purpose. Wax can be difficult ot remove from a pot.
- Prepare ingredients:
- In an adequate sized sauce pan add the rhubarb, sugar and pinapple.
- Bring to low boil and cook until the rhubarb has become very soft and breaks apart. Use a potato masher to ensure the rhubarb is broken down into fibers and well mixed with the pinapple.
- Remove from heat and thoroughly mix in the jello mixture.
- Pour or scoop the jam mixture into the prepared jars allowing enough room at the top "1/2 inch" for the addition of the parafin wax seal.
- Seal the jam with hot liquid parafin wax to about 1/4 inch depth.
- Allow to cool and then place sealer caps on jars.
- I have found this recipe to be excellent in flavour and extremely easy to prepare.
I have on occasion used short lenghts of clean butcher string to be inserted into the hot paraffine wax in the jars with the excess hanging out of the jar. Ensure that you create a small coil of string within the wax. The purpose of the string is to allow easier removal of the wax seal later on.
Open jars should be refrigerated until used up.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.