Print Friendly Recipe
- 1 lb (.5 kg). lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dahl or dried split peas
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cumin seed
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 inch ginger root; peeled
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp (10 ml) chili powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt (optional)
- 3 cups (700 ml) water
- 1 onion; chopped
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) cilantro; chopped
- 3 green chillies; chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) liquid egg substitute
- Soak dahl (or dried peas) in water for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Put 3 cups (700 ml) water in a large skillet, and boil the ground beef, dhal or peas, and next 7 ingredients approximately 45 minutes, or until all liquid evaporates.
- When all of the liquid has evaporated, allow mixture to cool slightly.
- Add liquid egg substitute.
- Then grind the meat mixture to a fine paste. This can be done in a blender or food processor, the liquid egg substitute providing the moisture.
- After the mixture has been made into paste, add the chopped onion, coriander leaves and chillies.
- Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, or spray with noncaloric spray to prevent sticking.
- Measure 1/4 cup (60 ml) portions onto the cookie sheet and shape them into patties.
- Bake in 350 degree (175 C.) oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until set.
- Remove carefully from pan with spatula.
- Use a grill on a hot summer day!
- found at
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.