Print Friendly Recipe
- Martha Purdy
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped dates
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped dried apricots (softened in hot water for 1 hr before chopping)
- 1 cup (225 ml) sweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup (225 ml) raisins
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) coarsely chopped walnuts
- 4 cups (950 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 T baking powder
- 1 t salt 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 2 T water
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 T water
- To make the filling:
- Combine the ingredients, mix well and divide into 24 equal portions.
- To make the crust:
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using a large whisk or an electric mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar for about 10 minutes, until a ribbon is formed.
- Add the melted butter, the vanilla extract, the water and the dry ingredients and stir until a rough dough is formed. Use your hands to press the dough into a ball.
- Form the dough into a long snakelike roll about 1-1/4 inches thick.
- Cut into 24 pieces.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Using your hands, press each dough section into a 3-inch circle, with the edges pinched thinner than the center.
- Place a portion of the filling in the center, gather up the edges of the dough to meet in the center and pinch to seal.
- Roll the cake into a ball and flatten it to a 3-inch round.
- Carve a decorative design on top or press the cake, joined edges up, in a lightly floured moon-cake mold.
- Invert the molded cake onto a cookie sheet.
- Continue until done.
- Arrange the cakes 1 inch apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Prepare the glaze and brush the surface of each cake lightly with it.
- Bake the cakes for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove, cool and serve.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.