Print Friendly Recipe
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, cut in half and sliced medium thick
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 skinless chicken thighs, skin removed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut in 1 inch squares
- 1 cup (225 ml) carrots,sliced medium thick
- 2 cups (475 ml) crimini mushrooms, sliced medium thick
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) tomato paste
- 2 cups (475 ml) + 1 tbsp (15 ml) chicken broth
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh rosemary, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 15 oz (420 grm). can navy beans, drained
- salt and pepper to taste
- Soak barley in a bowl of water while preparing rest of ingredients.
- Chop and cut onion, garlic, bell pepper, carrots and mushrooms.
- Strain barley and discard water.
- Heat 1 tbsp (15 ml) broth in a medium size braising pan or wide soup pot.
- Saute onion in broth for 3-4 minutes over medium heat stirring frequently.
- Add garlic, bell pepper, carrots, barley and mushrooms. Continue to saute for another 5 minutes stirring.
- Place chicken thighs on top of vegetables.
- In a separate small bowl mix tomato paste with broth and lemon juice, and pour over chicken and vegetables.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover, and simmer for about 35 minutes.
- Add beans, herbs, salt and pepper and continue to cook for another 5 minutes or until chicken and vegetables are tender.
- From http://www.whfoods.com
Prep and Cook Time: 25 minutes; cooking time 35 minutes
Healthy Cooking Tips: The vegetables are cut medium thick so they don't over cook before the barley is done. You want the vegetables to become tender throughout since this is a stew and it has more flavor if the ingredients can have more time to infuse with one another. But you don't want mush for vegetables from being over cooked. The best way to avoid either is to cut them the size asked for. The peppers are 1 inch pieces. The sliced carrots and mushrooms should be about 1/2 inch thick. Also, this dish would cook faster if the thighs were boneless, but would not have near as a good a flavor, so use skinless thighs with the bone in. This also gives the barley a chance to fully cook. Make sure the herbs are fresh and not added until 5 minutes before done. They will start to lose their flavor if added too soon. Check for tenderness of both the vegetables and chicken before adding the beans and herbs so they don't get over cooked. They should be almost done.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.