Print Friendly Recipe
- Baby spinach, cheddar, apple, walnuts, balsamic sauce
- Village People
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) white wine vinegar
- 8 cups (1900 ml) baby spinach
- 2 Fuji apples, unpeeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 6 oz (168 grm). Extra Old Canadian cheddar cheese, shaved
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) pitted dates, sliced
- 4 large shallots, minced
- 1 cup (225 ml) caramelized walnuts
- Carmelized Walnuts:
- nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) walnuts
- Carmelized Walnuts:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (175 C.).
- Line heavy rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Spray foil with nonstick spray.
- Combine sugar and vinegar in small saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves, about 3 minutes.
- Add nuts; toss to coat.
- Transfer mixture to baking sheet.
- Bake until nuts are deep brown and syrup thickens and coats nuts, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Cool completely on baking sheet.
- Break nuts apart.
- (Can be made 2 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.)
- For the salad:
- Boil balsamic vinegar in small saucepan over medium-high heat until syrupy and reduced to 1/4 cup (60 ml), about 4 minutes.
- Whisk oil and white wine vinegar in bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Keep at room temperature. Re-warm balsamic syrup before using. Re-whisk vinaigrette before using.)
- Toss arugula, apples, half of cheese, dates, walnuts, and shallots in large bowl with enough vinaigrette to coat. Season salad with salt and pepper.
- Plate the salad and drizzle balsamic syrup and sprinkle on remaining cheese.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.