Print Friendly Recipe
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). to 3 lbs (1.4 kg). carrots
- 1 small bunch celery
- 1 large cauliflower
- 1 lb (.5 kg). small white onions
- 1 cup (225 ml) salt
- 4 quarts (3775 ml) cold water
- 2 quarts (1900 ml) white vinegar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) mustard seed
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml). celery seed
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). red pepper flakes
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) sugar
- 3 cups (700 ml) small green cherry tomatoes (optional)
- 2 large zucchini squash, peeled, cut lengthwise twice, then into 1 1/2-inch pieces (optional)
- Cut carrots in half lengthwise, then into 1 1/2-inch
- Cut celery in same way.
- Break cauliflower into 1 1/2-inch thick flowerets; trim stems.
- Peel onions.
- In a bowl dissolve salt in water.
- Add vegetables, cover and refrigerate for 12 to 18 hours, then drain.
- Rinse vegetables in cold water and drain again.
- Combine vinegar, mustard seed, celery seed, pepper and sugar in 6 quarts (5675 ml) stainless or enamel pan.
- Bring to a boil.
- Boil for 3 minutes.
- Add vegetables; reduce heat and cook until vegetables are almost tender, about 10 minutes.
- Pack in hot pint jars.
- Wipe rim, attach lid.
- Set jars on folded towel away from drafts.
- Let cool.
- I've not prepared this recipe, so cannot comment on its results. Would like to comment about using olive oil, however. It seems to me that olive oil would not be a good choice if the giardiniera is to be kept refrigerated, as the oo would congeal and might affect the texture of the vegetables. This recipe uses no oil.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.