Print Friendly Recipe
- Wonderful lemon cookies
- Tessa Thomas
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) buttermilk (or 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk and 1/4 cup (60 ml) vinegar)
- 5 tsp (25 ml). baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). vanilla
- 1 cup (225 ml) lemon juice (fresh is best)
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) sugar
- 7/8 cup (200 ml) all purpose flour
- 8 tbsp (125 ml) butter or margarine, melted
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- In a small bowl or 2 cups (475 ml) measuring cup, beat the egg until foamy.
- Add the buttermilk and vanilla and blend well.
- Add the baking soda, one tspful at a time, sprinkling it in and beating until the mixture is smooth and the consistency of light cream.
- Add the lemon juice all at once and blend into the mixture. Stir, but do not beat (you want it creamy, but without a lot of air)
- The mixture will congeal into a pasty lump. Scoop it out of the bowl with a spatula and spread it on a floured surface.
- Sift the flour and 3/4 cup (175 ml) of the sugar together and use the fingertips to work it into the egg-lemon mixture.
- With a floured rolling pin, roll the dough out 1/32" thick and with the tip of a sharp knife, cut out 'angel' shapes and twist the edges up to form a shell-like curve about 3/8" high.
- Sprinkle on the remainder of the sugar.
- Brush each 'angel' with melted butter.
- Place the angels one inch apart on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.