Print Friendly Recipe
- From William-Sonoma Soup
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1-1/2 oz (42 grm). dried mushrooms such as porcini or shiitakes
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 lb (.5 kg). fresh button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg).fresh shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) all-purpose flour
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups (950 ml) beef, chicken, or vegetable stock or prepared broth
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) half-and-half
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dry sherry
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) finely chopped fresh flat leaf (Italian) parsley, plus some whole leaves
- Soak the dried mushrooms in 3 cups (700 ml) boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Drain the soaked mushrooms, reserving 2 cups (475 ml) soaking liquid.
- Strain the liquid through a fine-mesh sieve lined with cheesecloth or a coffee filter to remove any grit.
- Set liquid and mushrooms aside.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, warm the oil.
- Add the onion and saute, stirring occasionally, until softened, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the fresh button and shiitake mushrooms and cook, stirring, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the flour and salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir to coat the mushrooms and to cook the flour, about 1 minute.
- Add the stock and the reserved mushroom liquid.
- Add the reserved drained mushrooms and reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Simmer until all the mushrooms are completely softened, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the soup in batches, making sure to leave a little texture, and return the soup to the pan.
- Alternatively, process with a handheld blender in the pan until the desired consistency is reached.
- Return the soup to medium heat.
- Add the half-and-half and sherry and cook until the flavors are blended, about 3 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve, ladle the soup into warmed bowls and garnish with the parsley.
- Serve immediately.
- This recipe is borrowed from William-Sonoma Soup by Diane Rossen Worthington and Chuck Williams. Published by Simon and Schuster, 2001.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.