Print Friendly Recipe
- Slow Cooker Taco Soup
- Karen "Sissy" Wommack
Serves/Makes:Large Capacity Slow Cooker
- 1 lb (.5 kg). ground beef
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 15 oz (420 grm). can black beans, undrained
- 2 15 oz (420 grm). cans pinto beans, undrained
- 1 15 oz (420 grm). can whole kernel corn, undrained
- 1 15 oz (420 grm). can hominy, undrained
- 2 15 oz (420 grm). cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 4 oz (112 grm). can diced green chilies, undrained
- 1 pkg. dry taco seasoning
- 1 pkg. of Hidden Valley Buttermilk Salad Dressing Mix
- tortilla chips or corn chips
- shredded cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- green onions
- In a heavy skillet, brown the ground beef with the bell pepper and the onion; drain well then place in a large slow cooker or crockpot.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or more.
- Serve in a bowl and garnish with tortilla chips or corn chips, shredded cheddar cheese, sour cream and thinly sliced/or chopped green onions. (Or just eat without the garnish, either way it is GREAT)
- Note: This soup freezes well
- My best friend Linda Story is Director of Nursing in our local hospital's Long Term Care Unit. I feel that her calling in life is to take care of people. She has raised 4 boys, and a husband (ha), helped raise my kids, and then she has just about raised 2 of her grandchildren and now she has taken in one of her employees that is a young single boy that has no close family ties and works for her and goes to nursing school. She and her husband, Kenny, and my husband, Jerry, grew up together and we all have many fond memories with each other. They took Jerry and I to get married, we ran off (That was real smart, wasn't it) and it has lasted 40 years this year. Linda, lost Kenny to a heart attack 2 years ago, so we do alot together as a threesome.
I called her one Saturday to see if she wanted to go with me to Cracker Barrel to get a bowl of soup, and she told me to come on over and eat with her, she had Taco Soup. I thought that sounded a little suspicious, and I am NOT a great fan of Mexican food, buttttt being a good friend, I said OK. I thought I was going to eat myself to death, that was the BEST SOUP I had eaten in a LONG time. So I wanted to share it with ya'll. I also love it because you can SET IT and FORGET IT. ha. Enjoy, Sis
|Email This To A Friend