Print Friendly Recipe
- Traditional baked eggplant main dish
- Tracie. M
Serves/Makes: 4 or more
- 2 well ripened early to mid season eggplants (about 2 lbs (.9 kg).), peeled just before handling
- 3 eggs
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) water
- 1 cup (225 ml) fine dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup (225 ml) all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) or 1 oz (28 grm). freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) slivered fresh basil leaves
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) tomato sauce or marinara
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) or 3 oz (84 grm). grated fresh mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray.
- Coat an 8-by-11 1/2-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- To prepare eggplant:
- Cut eggplants crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Whisk eggs with water in a shallow dish until frothy.
- Combine breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup (60 ml) Parmesan, salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Use another shallow dish for the flour.
- Dip the eggplant in flour to coat, with a fork, dip into egg and then coat with the breadcrumb mixture. (Discard any leftover egg, flour and breadcrumbs.)
- Arrange the eggplant slices in a single layer on the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the eggplant slices for 15 minutes, turn them over and bake until crisp and golden, about 15 minutes more.
- To assemble casserole:
- Stir basil into tomato sauce.
- Spread about 1/2 cup (125 ml) of the sauce in the prepared baking dish.
- Arrange half the eggplant slices over the sauce, overlapping slightly.
- Spoon 1 cup (225 ml) of the remaining sauce over the eggplant and sprinkle with half the mozzarella.
- Layer on the remaining eggplant and top with the remaining sauce, mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake the casserole, at 400 degrees (200 C.) uncovered, until the sauce bubbles and the top is golden, 15 to 25 minutes.
- A simple and traditonal Italian favorite, with a few short cuts to save time in the kitchen. Traditionally, making this dish was a family affair, everyone having a job in it's process. A fun dish to make with children or a few good friends.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.