Print Friendly Recipe
- Hearty but healthy made with lowfat substitutions below
- Julie P.
- 3 cups (700 ml) sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 cups (700 ml) chopped zucchini
- 2 cups (475 ml) cubed fully cooked ham
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) chopped onions
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) chopped green pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) vegetable oil
- 2 8 oz (224 grm). packages cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) half-and-half cream
- 12 eggs
- 4 cups (950 ml) cubed day-old bread
- 3 cups (700 ml) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) pepper
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, zucchini, ham, onions, green peppers and garlic in oil until vegetables are tender. Drain and pat dry; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and cream until smooth.
- Beat in eggs.
- Stir in the bread, cheese, salt, pepper and vegetable mixture.
- Pour into two greased 11-in. x 7-in. x 2-in. baking dishes.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 35-40 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- For a low-fat version saute vegetables with Pam vegetable spray instead of oil and use non-fat cream cheese and low-fat cheddar (such as the Irish cheddar carried by Trader Joes). You may also use egg-substitute instead of eggs.
Or you may substitute evaporated milk for half-and-half.
Also, you may substitute egg whites for a portion of total eggs (this impacts how well casserole sets).
Original version of the recipe was borrowed from Arlene Butler at AllRecipes.com
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.