Print Friendly Recipe
- Vegan chili
- olive oil
- 1-2 large yellow onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red pepper, diced fairly large
- 1 green pepper, diced fairly large
- 2 28 oz (784 grm). cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml). cayenne (or to your taste)
- 1 10 oz (280 grm). pkg. frozen corn
- 2 cans black beans (or any other kind of beans you like - chickpeas work well, too)
- 1 cup (225 ml) to 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) picante sauce (Shotgun Willie's green sauce "very hot" works well)
- salt to taste
- grated cheddar, if desired
- cashew nuts, if desired
- Saute onions in the olive oil. (I used cooking wine instead to cut out the fat).
- Add garlic a bit later.
- After onion and garlic are have turned golden brown, add cumin, cayenne, and whatever other spices you might like. Fry for a couple of minutes.
- Next, add the peppers, saute them for a few minutes.
- Place mixture in crockpot or slow cooker.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, corn, beans and picante sauce.
- Cook on low about 10 hours.
- Serve topped with grated cheddar and cashew nuts, if desired.
- I didn't have room in my crockpot for 2 cans of crushed tomatoes, and I had to cut back a little on the corn too, so you will have to vary the sizes above depending on the size of your crockpot.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.