Print Friendly Recipe
- A fresh alternative to traditional carnitas.
- susanm and the National Pork Board
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). to 3 lbs (1.4 kg). boneless sirloin tip pork roast
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) coarse salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dried oregano
- 1 cup (225 ml) freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) fresh lime juice
- Remove most of fat pad from top of roast with a sharp knife and discard.
- Slice 4 cloves of garlic and crush the other four.
- Poke holes in roast with the tip of a sharp knife and slide a slice of garlic in each slit.
- Warm oil in large skilled over medium high heat.
- Add pork and brown on all sides, 6 to 8 minutes.
- In a blender container combine crushed garlic, cumin, salt, oregano, and orange and lime juices.
- Blend until evenly combined.
- Place pork in slow cooker, pour liquid mixture over pork, and let marinate about 10 minutes on each side.
- Turn slow cooker on low and set to cook for 8 hours.
- After 8 hours remove pork and shred using two forks on a large cutting board.
- Return pork to the pot and let cook another 15 to 30 minutes.
- Serve shredded pork in lettuce wraps, in corn tortillas, or on top of salad greens.
- Top with pico de gallo, fresh chopped cilantro, and avocado.
- I use a larger bone-in pork shoulder roast and this recipe turns out great.
Recipe was adapted from a 2013 National Pork Board ad.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.