Print Friendly Recipe
- Pen & Pencil, New York, New York
- 6 oz (168 grm). dried kidney beans
- 6 oz (168 grm). dried Great Northern beans
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). aged and trimmed buffalo shell steak, diced to 1/4" cubes
- 2 medium spanish onions, finely diced
- 2 oz (56 grm). bacon drippings
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) chipotle
- 1/2 tbsp (7 ml) cumin seeds
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chili powder
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) jalapeno pepper (depending on strength)
- 2 quarts (1900 ml) buffalo stock
- Soak beans overnight in water, then discard the water.
- Add enough buffalo stock to competely cover.
- Cook several hours until slightly short of "al Dente". Add more stock if needed to keep beans covered.
- In a very large, very heavy, non-reactive saute pan, saute the buffalo, onions, and garlic in the bacon drippings, until the meat is browned (about 5 minutes).
- Drain the grease.
- Add about 2 cups (475 ml) of buffalo stock, and reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Add beans, chipotle, cumin, chili powder, and some salt, and stir well.
- After about 45 minutes, add the jalapeno peppers until the desired degree of intensity is achieved (do your ears turn red?).
- Note that the "intensity" will increase slightly as you continue to simmer for another 15 minutes to incorporate the intensity throughout the range where the buffalo roam.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.