Print Friendly Recipe
Serves/Makes:5 dozen cakes
- 7 cups (1650 ml) all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) baking powder
- 2 tsp (10 ml) salt
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). lard
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). margarine
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) sugar
- 1 Tbsp (15 ml) ground nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) currants
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) milk
- Blend flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Cut in lard and margarine until mixture is grainy.
- Stir in sugar, nutmeg and currants.
- Beat the eggs and blend in with milk.
- Mix liquids into dry ingredients and mix until a soft dough forms.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to 1/2 inch thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter cut into rounds.
- Fry on an electric griddle set at 325 to 350 degrees (175 C.) until golden brown then turn only once to brown other side.
- I don't recall where I got this recipe from, but
in Wales these sweet fried biscuits are called
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.