Print Friendly Recipe
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). salt pork
- 1 lb (.5 kg). Cajun smoked sausage (or andouille sausage)
- 2 quarts (1900 ml) water
- 3 cups (700 ml) onion, chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) bell pepper, chopped
- 2 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 T salt
- 1 t black pepper, or less
- 2 dashes Tabasco sauce, or less
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). can tomato sauce
- 1 t red pepper, or less
- 1/4 t oregano
- 1 T Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 t thyme leaf
- 1 lb (.5 kg). red beans, soaked
- rice, boiled or steamed
- Cook beans and salt pork in salted water slowly for 45 minutes.
- Add vegetables, seasonings and tomato sauce.
- Cook slowly for another hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add sausage and cook 45 minutes more.
- Cook, reheat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Serve over boiled or steamed rice.
- Less pepper may be used for tender palates.
- This is a numerously tested recipe. It is one of
the only ways I can get my family to eat beans of
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.