Print Friendly Recipe
- 1 cup (225 ml) raisins
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) solid white shortening
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) nutmeg
- 1 egg
- Cook raisins, water and solid shortening for 5 minutes. Cool for 15 minutes.
- Place in large bowl, then add flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, cloves, nutmeg and egg. Blend well.
- Spread in greased 9 inch square pan. Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 35-40 minutes.
- Frost with favorite white frosting.
- I believe this was clipped out of the Boston
Globe several years ago, and it has since become
one of our family's favorites. Hope you enjoy!
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.