Print Friendly Recipe
- Baked ham
- Ruth A. Burbage
- 8 lbs (3.6 kg). shank half, smoked ham
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). whole cloves
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) plus 2 tbsp (30 ml). port wine, divided
- 1 cup (225 ml) packed brown sugar
- 3 tbsp (45 ml). Dijon mustard
- Score ham in diamond pattern and stud with cloves.
- Place ham on rack in large roasting pan, pour 3/4 cup (175 ml) port over ham.
- Bake 2 to 3 hours, at 350 degrees (175 C.), or until meat reaches 140 degrees (60 C.) on meat thermometer, basting occasionally with port.
- In small bowl, combine sugar, mustard and 2 tbsp (30 ml). port; set aside.
- Remove ham from oven.
- Increase temperature to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- Brush sugar glaze on ham.
- Return to oven and bake 15 minutes or till nicely browned.
- Let stand 20 minutes before carving.
- I no longer remember where I got this recipe, but
I never bake a ham anymore without doing it this
way. The sauce, after defatting, makes a great
dip for chicken fingers, etc.
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.