Print Friendly Recipe
- 5 eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- flour (Enough to make stiff dough -- don't have exact measure)
- Swiss Cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil (add a little salt and a tbsp of oil to the water.)
- Crack each egg and lightly beat.
- Add one cup milk and beat into eggs.
- Add one cup water and beat into egg/milk mixture.
- Add one tsp salt.
- Add flour until mixture is thicker than pancake mix but not a stiff dough.
- When water boils, pour dough into a food mill with large holes (I got my food mill from Switzerland, but I think they sell them in specialty shops.)
- Turn handle of food mill letting the dough drop into the water.
- When the knopfli floats to the surface remove with slotted spoon.
- Grate Swiss cheese and sprinkle over the knopfli.
- Repeat steps until all dough has been used.
- Swiss recipe - Obtained the recipe from my mother
who was born and raised in Switzerland. We often
ate Knopfli instead of potatoes, pasta or rice.
On a trip to Switzerland several years ago I
requested that she pick up a knopfli food mill
since I could not locate one in any of the stores
in my area.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.