Print Friendly Recipe
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). lamb, cut in large cubes, cleaned of all fat and silverskin
- 4 ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup (225 ml) red wine
- 1 orange, cut in half
- 1 large eggplant, cubed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) oregano
- a few good grinds of black pepper
- 1 quart (950 ml) of beef stock
- 1 yellow onion, chopped coarse
- 1 cup (225 ml) black figs, chopped
- 1/2 head (or less if you chicken out!) garlic
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter or olive oil
- salt, to taste
- Heat oil in a large heavy pot.
- Brown the lamb throughly on all sides.
- Add the rest of ingredients and simmer, covered, for 3 hours.
- Remove the orange halves and bay leaves.
- Serve with bulgar pilaf and salad.
- My Armenian great aunt got me hooked on this
dish ... (you will be too!)
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.