Print Friendly Recipe
Serves/Makes:6 or more
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). ground meat (beef, venison and turkey all do well)
- 4 onions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) dry long grain rice
- 4 15 oz (420 grm). cans tomatoes, squished w/ liquid
- 1 tsp (5 ml). oregano
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml). salt
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- water as necessary
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Brown meat in a large pan.
- Drain off some of the excess liquid.
- Add onions and cook till transparent.
- Add the seasonings and stir to coat well.
- Add tomatoes & rice. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Pour into a LARGE baking dish or a 9 x 13 inch casserole.
- Add water till it just barely comes to the surface of hash.
- Cover tightly w/ foil and bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until the rice is cooked.
- Allow to stand uncovered for 5 minutes before serving.
- Goes great with cornbread, hushpuppies, tortillas, chips, or
garnished w, green onions, sour cream, and shredded cheese.
I picked this up in Tucson while keeping house for aBUNCH of cable tv installers; hence the wide servings range...up to 10 normal appetites, or 6
pole-climbers (or teenagers for that matter).
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.