Print Friendly Recipe
- Grilled chicken
- Garry L. Singleton
Serves/Makes:1 sauce for 10 halves
- 1 gallon (3.8 ltr) apple cider vingar
- 2 cups (475 ml) sugar
- 1/2 container crushed red pepper
- 5 tbsp (70 ml) black pepper
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) salt, that's not too much, most will run off chicken
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) regular prepared mustard
- 1/2 chicken per person for adults
- 1 bottle of vegetable oil, least expensive is ok
- Pour 3 cups (700 ml) of vinegar out of gallon container and save.
- Add all of the ingredients (except oil) in remainder of vinegar.
- Tighten lid and shake often to mix.
- Prepare grill and let heat.
- Clean chicken, removing fat.
- Make sure chickens are cut in half, split down the middle.
- Bathe chicken with vegetable oil by pouring on and rubbing all over.
- Hold each piece up to drip off excess.
- Sprinkle both sides with salt, don't be afraid to sprinkle well, most will run off chicken when applying sauce.
- Place each half on heated grill and cook for approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes at 350 degrees (175 C.) turning once. Place chicken inside down first.
- 15 to 20 minutes before chicken is done, use a pair of large forks and tear chicken seperating meat but, not from the bone.
- Sprinkle sauce on halves, do this two to three times before removing from grill otherwise the sauce will just run off into the grill.
- This recipe is a mountain specialty passed down from our ancestors.
You may make it as hot as you like, it's up to you
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.