Print Friendly Recipe
- 3 cups (700 ml) flour
- 1 cup (225 ml) lard (no substitute)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) water
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vinegar
- 3 medium potatoes, diced
- 4 carrots, finely diced
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 1/2 small rutabagas, diced
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). ground beef
- salt and pepper, to taste
- beef gravy, optional
- Blend flour, lard and salt.
- Combine egg, water and vinegar and add to flour mixture.
- Knead lightly and divide dough into 6 equal balls.
- Roll each ball to about 7 inch diameter.
- Assemble the pasties in the following order:
- On half of each circle place in layers a portion of potatoes, carrots, onions, rutabaga and beef.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and dot with butter.
- Fold crust in half to cover filling; seal and flute edge.
- Bake for 1 hour in pre-heated 350 degree (175 C.) oven.
- I generally spoon on Heinze Beef Gravy.
- These pasties can be frozen before or after baking.
- The original Mackinaw pasties call for bite size sirloin
steak pieces. I prefer to use ground beef.
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.