Print Friendly Recipe
- Patty Johnson
Serves/Makes:One round loaf
- 1 cup (225 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp (10 ml). sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml). baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml). baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). salt
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) raisins (optional)
- 3/4 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- 1-1/2 Tbsp (20 ml). cornstarch
- Mix all dry ingredients.
- Stir in raisins and enough buttermilk to make soft dough.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead until smooth, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Shape into round loaf, about 6-1/2 inches in diameter.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- You can sprinkle a little corn meal on pan to prevent sticking.
- Cut an X about 1/4" through center of loaf with floured knife.
- Allow loaf to rest 10 minutes.
- Bake in 375 degree (200 C.) oven until golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Brush with margarine if desired.
- I found this recipe in a cookbook put together by the
Sailors of Snug Harbor, in Sea Level North Carolina, called
Tasty Harbor Favorites.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.