Print Friendly Recipe
Serves/Makes:8 servings as a starter course
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp (30 ml) butter or oil
- 2 tsp (10 ml) cumin
- 1 quart (950 ml) chicken stock (or 2 14 oz (392 grm). cans)
- 1 quart (950 ml) fresh or canned tomatoes w/juices, roughly chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) commercial Picante Sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) (packed) roughly chopped cilantro
- 8 oz (224 grm). mild cheddar or jack cheese - cut into 1/4" cubes
- 4 corn tortillas - cut into 2 inch by 1/2 inch strips (or substitute bagged Dorito-type corn chips)
- Saute garlic in oil just until softened.
- Add cumin, chicken stock, tomatoes and picante sauce.
- Slow simmer 20 minutes.
- Add cilantro.
- Place tortilla strips or a handful of crushed corn chips and 1 oz (28 grm). cubed cheese in each bowl. Ladle hot soup over and serve.
- Use a mild picante sauce unless you're a fire-eater - then, after
considering the "heat" your guests can handle, the sky's the limit.
To serve a mixed group, place some red chili flakes on the table that
may be sprinkled on individual bowls to boost the heat.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.