Print Friendly Recipe
- An excellent way to use over-ripe tomatoes
- 12 large ripe tomatoes
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). margarine
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 tbsp (60 ml). brown sugar
- 4 tsp (20 ml). ground clove
- 2 tsp (10 ml). salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml). pepper
- 4 tsp (20 ml). chopped basil (or dried)
- 1 pt. Half & Half
- 2 cups (475 ml) milk
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml). liquid smoke
- Bring a large pot of water to boil.
- Gently drop in tomatoes, let stand 5 minutes.
- Remove one at a time and run under cold water to break skin.
- Remove skin, cut into quarters and remove seed.
- Saute onions in margarine until soft.
- Add tomatoes, bay leaf, sugar, cloves, salt, pepper & basil.
- Simmer, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, transfer mixture to blender and puree.
- Add cream and milk, heat through.
- Serve topped with buttered croutons.
- This is a wonderful recipe, although a large amount. I usually
freeze left-overs and sometimes use it in meat loaf or other
recipes that call for tomato base.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.