Print Friendly Recipe
- An incredibly moist, dark chocolate cake.
- Susan Reilly
- 4 cups (950 ml) flour
- 2 cups (475 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1-1/3 cups (325 ml) mayonnaise
- 1 cup (225 ml) cocoa
- 2 tsp (10 ml) baking soda
- 2 cups (475 ml) cold water
- 3 tsp (15 ml) vanilla
- Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.
- Mix vanilla, mayonnaise and cold water with whisk and add to dry.
- Beat until mixed well.
- DO NOT OVERBEAT.
- Divide evenly between 3 9 inch layer cake pans that have been buttered and dusted with cocoa AND 6 lined cupcake cups.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) about 35 minutes.
- This recipe was originally my grandmother's. She told me she got it
during the war. I tinkered with it to increase the intensity of the
chocolate and it is my favorite chocolate "comfort food." It is
particularly good with coffee-flavored frosting (butter frosting flavored
with instant espresso powder dissolved in small amount of warm water).
Can also be prepared in a jelly roll pan for a crowd.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.