Print Friendly Recipe
- Carol Welte
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) sun-dried tomatoes, dry-packed
- boiling water
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). garlic, minced
- 42 oz (1176 grm). ripe tomatoes (or frozen, or canned)
- 1 cup (225 ml) red wine
- 2 cups (475 ml) water
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh basil, chopped
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml). salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). thyme
- Combine sun-dried tomatoes with boiling water to cover; let stand 5 minutes, then drain.
- Spray bottom of dutch oven w/nonstick vegetable spray and heat.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes.
- Stir in garlic, cook 30 seconds.
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, 1 1/2 hours.
- Puree in batches in food processor, blender, or emersion blender.
- This isn't a recipe from a great, great, great grandmother. But, I also
grow my own vegetables and herbs. Of all the pasta sauce recipes I've
tried, this is the most delicious, especially using the vegetables I grew
myself. This freezes well.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.