Print Friendly Recipe
- Carol Welte
- 4-1/2 cups (1050 ml) flour
- 2 pkgs. active dry yeast (approx. 4-1/2 tsp (20 ml).)
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) warm water (110-115 degrees)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) sugar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar
- In mixing bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) of the flour and the yeast.
- Combine warm water, 3 tbsp (45 ml) sugar, and salt.
- Pour over flour mixture.
- Beat with electric mixer at low speed.
- Stir in as much remaining flour as you can mix in with a spoon.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead in enough remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough that is smooth & elastic, 6 to 8 minutes total.
- Cover, let rise 20 minutes.
- Broil 5 inches from heat 3 to 4 minutes, turning once (tops should not brown).
- Heat 1 gallon (3.8 ltr) water and the 1 tbsp (15 ml) sugar to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cook 4 or 5 bagels at a time for 7 min., turning once.
- Place on greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees (200 C.) for 25 - 30 minutes.
- This is the basic recipe. Add onions, etc., to dough for a variety. Or,
before baking, brush with beaten egg & sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds,
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.