Print Friendly Recipe
- Reader's Digest "LIKE GRANDMA USED TO MAKE"
Serves/Makes:8 side-dish servings
- 1 cup (225 ml) stone-ground cornmeal
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar(optional)
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) boiling water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) low-fat(1% milkfat)milk
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- In a medium-size bowl, combine cornmeal, sugar (if using), and salt.
- In a thin steady stream, pour boiling water into the cornmeal mixture, stirring constantly.(Batter will be very thick).
- When the water is absorbed, stir in the milk. (Batter will be thin.)
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick griddle or skillet over moderate heat and brush with a little of the oil.
- Using about 1/4 cup (60 ml) batter for each jonnycake, pour batter onto the griddle.(Batter will spread to about 5 inches.)
- Cook about 2 minutes on each side or until golden and crisp around edges.
- If jonnycakes aren't browning quickly enough, increase heat to moderately high.
- Serve with butter and maple syrup.
- Prep time: 10 minutes Cooking time: 17 minutes
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.