Print Friendly Recipe
- From the recipe files of Carole Walberg
- 1 sponge cake (10 inch)--about 3 inches tall
- 3 ounces strong black coffee (or expresso)
- 3 ounces brandy or rum
- 1-1/2 pounds cream cheese or mascarpone --room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) superfine or powdered sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- Cut across middle of sponge cake, forming two layers, each about 1 1/2 inches high.
- Blend coffee and brandy.
- Sprinkle enough of mixture over bottom half of cake to flavor it strongly, but don't moisten cake too much or it may collapse on serving.
- Beat cheese and 1 cup (225 ml) sugar until sugar is completely dissolved and cheese is light and spreadable.
- Test for sweetness during beating, adding more sugar if needed.
- Spread cut surface of bottom layer with half of the cheese mixture.
- Replace top layer and top this with remaining cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle top liberally with sifted cocoa.
- Refrigerate cake for at least 2 hours before cutting and serving
- Contributed by Karen (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.