Print Friendly Recipe
- Internet Site
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). lean ground beef
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive or vegetable oil
- 2 cups (475 ml) carrots, diced
- 2 cups (475 ml) onion, diced
- 2 cups (475 ml) celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups (700 ml) barley, cooked
- 8 cups (1900 ml) beef broth
- 2 cans Italian-style stewed tomatoes (14 to 16 oz (448 grm). each can)
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) dry red wine
- 1 tsp (5 ml) thyme leaves (dried)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh parsley, minced
- Optional: splash of balsamic vinegar
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, cook ground beef on medium-high heat until browned, breaking up with a spatula or fork as it cooks.
- Remove from pan and add oil.
- Add carrots, onion, celery and garlic.
- Cook until vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beef and all remaining ingredients except parsley and optional vinegar.
- Bring to a boil on high heat.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cover.
- Simmer 20 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and taste.
- Adjust seasong, adding more salt or pepper, if needed, or a splash of balsamic vinegar if soup needs a little more zip.
- Nutritional information per serving: 429 calories; 19.6 g fat,
6.9 g saturated fat; 81 mg cholesterol; 1,242 mg sodium;
41% calories from fat.
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.