Print Friendly Recipe
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). pea beans
- 1 lb (.5 kg). Salt pork (can use bacon)
- 8 Tbls. sugar
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) molasses
- 2 tsp (10 ml). dry mustard
- 4 tsp (20 ml). salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 Quarts (1900 ml) Bean Pot or as close as possible
- Wash beans in colander; cover with water and soak overnight.
- In the morning rinse the beans and drain.
- Place beans in saucepan and just cover with water.
- Parboil beans for 10 minutes with 1 tsp (5 ml). of baking soda.
- Run cold water through the beans in a colander.
- Dice rind of Salt pork (or bacon) into one inch squares.
- 1/2 Place of salt pork and 1/2 of the diced onion on the bottom of the bean pot.
- Place all the beans on top of the salt pork and onion.
- Put the rest of the salt pork and onion on top of the beans.
- Mix the rest of the ingredients with hot water and pour over the beans. (Should just cover the beans).
- Bake at 300 degrees (150 C.) for about 6 hours--Add water as necessary to keep moist only.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.