Print Friendly Recipe
- 2 cups (475 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). baking soda
- 5 tbsp (70 ml). chilled solid vegetable shortening
- 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees (225 C.).
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Using a pastry blender or two knives, cut the shortening into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs form.
- Add the buttermilk, tossing with a fork wuntil a dough forms.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface.
- Gather into a disk.
- Knead lightly a few times just until smooth.
- Pat dough to 3/4 inch thick.
- Using a biscuit cutter or a glass dipped in flour, cut out biscuits.
- Place the biscuits, 2 inches apart, on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Gather dough trimmings, pat to 3/4-in. thick, and cut out more biscuits.
- Bake the biscuits until golden, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.