Print Friendly Recipe
- Easy and excellent - a big hit with the kids!
- Joyce Anderson
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). dried split peas
- 3 carrots
- 3 stalks of celery (I use heart w/leaves)
- 2 cloves garlic (increase/decrease according to taste)
- any other left over veggies (small amounts only - don't suggest cabbage or cauliflower)
- pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Italian Seasoning ( to taste)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) Old Bay Seasoning (optional)
- 1 ham hock or bone
- Look over and wash peas.
- Chop veggies.
- Add all ingredients to soup pot - cover with water (if soup becomes too thick when complete, more water can be added.)
- Cover bring to boil. Skim any foam. If too much of the seasoning is removed when you remove foam, add some more.
- Reduce heat - simmer until peas are soft.
- Remove ham bone - cut up any meat into small pieces - set aside.
- Put soup through food mill to make smooth or can be pureed in blender. Seems to be more pleasing to most people's palates when smooth.
- Add salt if needed - Enjoy!
- When reheating additional water may be needed.
- This recipe came from my mother. It never fails to win rave reviews
from all that have sampled it. Serve with warm bread and salad for a
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.