Print Friendly Recipe
- Josie Lynn
Serves/Makes:8 inch square cake
- Topping (Bottom of cake):
- 3 cups (700 ml) Raw Rhubarb (about 10 stalks) cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 3 Tbsp (45 ml) Melted Butter or Margarine
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) sugar
- 2 cups (475 ml) sifted flour
- 3 tsp (15 ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) butter or margarine (softened)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (225 ml) milk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- For topping:
- Mix melted margarine and sugar in the bottom of an 8 inch square baking pan.
- Toss the rhubarb in the mixture until well-coated (a few drops of red food coloring may be added, if rhubarb looks too green).
- For cake:
- Sift dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Add margarine, egg, milk and vanilla.
- Beat for 2 minutes.
- Pour over the rhubarb in the baking pan.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes at 350 degrees (175 C.).
- While still warm, loosen the cake around the edges with a knife, place large cake dish over the top of the baking pan, and turn upside down, quickly.
- Let the "juices" drain on to the cake for five minutes, before taking the pan off.
- Gently remove the pan.
- This was a neighbor's recipe, created the year that I was born. I have
always loved it. The topping reminds me a little of old fashioned
Rhubard sauce, and the cake is quite moist. This is a quick and
easy dessert, that is good warm, but even better chilled.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.