Print Friendly Recipe
- Very delicious old-fashioned pumpkin pie tasting butter.
- Charlene Collins
Serves/Makes:maybe 6 half-pints
- 3 pints mashed or canned pumpkin
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter (no substitutions)
- 1 pound sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vinegar
- ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon to taste
- If preparing a fresh pumpkin: bake or steam pumpkin.
- Rub through sieve or colander.
- Mix pumpkin with sugar, butter, vinegar, spices in at least a 5 quarts (4725 ml) heavy bottomed pot.
- Simmer 1 hour or until thick and mixture rounds up on spoon.
- Seal in sterile jars and process in boiling water canner 10 minutes if desired.
- This is an old recipe I found in a cookbook. I can't remember the yield, so
have about 7 half-pint jars ready. The pumpkin butter is really delicious,
season it like you would pumpkin pie and you can't go wrong. While cooking,
it tends to make a big 'burp' instead of simmering like a broth would.
Watch so the mixture doesn't stick and scorch.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.