Print Friendly Recipe
- Charlene Collins
- 1 (8 oz (224 grm).) can crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) margarine, melted, divided
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 6 whole maraschino cherries
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) baking powder
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) apple sauce
- 1 egg
- 2 egg whites, beaten until stiff
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Drain pineapple; reserve juice.
- Spray sides of 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spread 1 tbsp (15 ml) melted margarine evenly in bottom of prepared pan.
- Sprinkle with brown sugar; top with pineapple.
- Slice cherries in half. Arrange cherries, cut side up, so that when cake is cut, each piece will have cherry half in center.
- In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In large bowl, combine granulated sugar, apple sauce, whole egg, remaining 1 tbsp (15 ml) melted margarine and reserved pineapple juice.
- Add flour mixture to apple sauce mixture; stir until well blended.
- Fold in egg whites.
- Gently pour batter over fruit, spreading evenly.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on wire rack 10 minutes.
- Invert cake onto serving plate.
- Serve warm or cool completely. Cut into 12 pieces.
- Nutrients per serving: 200 calories, total fat 2.5g, sodium 240 mg, cholesterol 20 mg.
Found in Mott's Apple Sauce A Better Way to Bake book
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.