Print Friendly Recipe
- Chocolate and whiskey is a combination you don't see that often but one that you will probably see more of in the future.
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) Dutch process cocoa powder
- 12 large whole eggs
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) granulated sugar
- fl 8 oz (224 grm) melted butter
- fl 8 oz (224 grm) water
- fl 8 oz (224 grm) whiskey, 100 proof
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) heavy cream
- 16 oz (448 grm) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 16 oz (448 grm) butter, softened
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) ground cinnamon
- Line two jelly roll pans with parchment or wax paper.
- Sift together the flour and the cocoa powder and set aside.
- Place the eggs and 1 1/2 cups** sugar in the top of a double boiler set over gently simmering water until the mixture reaches 120 F (49 C).
- Pour the mixture into an electric mixer and whip until the eggs triple in size and just begin to recede in volume.
- Gently fold in the sifted flour and then the melted butter.
- Gently pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake at 350 F (177 C) until the cake springs back when touched, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan a couple of minutes before removing from the pan to finish cooling.
- To make the whiskey simple syrup, combine the remaining sugar and the water and bring to a boil.
- Stir until the sugar dissolves and remove from heat.
- When the mixture has cooled, stir in the whiskey, adding more if a stronger flavor is desired. Set aside.
- In another saucepan, heat the cream to a simmer.
- Place the chocolate in a large bowl and add the hot cream.
- Stir gently until all the chocolate has melted.
- Add the butter and stir to incorporate.
- Stir in the remaining whiskey and cinnamon and chill until the mixture starts to thicken.
- When the chocolate mixture has thickened, place in the bowl of an electric mixer and whip until light and fluffy.
- Remove the paper from the cake and cut, width-wise, into 4 pieces.
- Lightly brush one piece of cake with some of the simple syrup.
- Spread some of the chocolate over the cake and cover with another piece of cake.
- Repeat using the remaining cake.
- Frost the outside with the chocolate and dust with cocoa powder.
- Refrigerate until needed.
- ** Measurement specific to original recipe yield of 12 servings.
- Estimated Time: 120 min
Copyright ©1997-2019 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.