Print Friendly Recipe
- Carolyn Haynes
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml).salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). pepper
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). shortening
- 6 cups (1425 ml) hot water
- 3 pared medium potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 medium turnip, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 4 carrots, cut into 1 inch slices
- 1 green pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup (225 ml) sliced celery, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) diced onion
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). salt
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- Mix flour, salt and pepper.
- Coat meat with flour mixture.
- Melt shortening in large skillet; brown meat thoroughly.
- Add water;heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 2 hours.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- If desired, thicken stew:
- In covered jar, shake 1 cup (225 ml) cold water and 2 tbsp (30 ml) to 4 tbsp (60 ml) flour until blended.
- Stir into stew; heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute.
- I like to add a can of green beans and peas near the end of cooking.
You could add fresh with the rest of the veges. I omit the turnip as no one
in my family eats it.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2017 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.