Print Friendly Recipe
- The Ultimate Holiday Fruit Cake
- The Spice Ingredients Cookbook - S. Morris & L. Mackley
Serves/Makes:1 (1" X 9")
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). Luxury dried mixed fruit
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) chopped dried pitted prunes (sugar plums)
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) chopped dried mango or papaya
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) candied cherries quartered
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Brandy
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Rum
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) Port
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) Cherry Brandy
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) Apple Pie Spice
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 2 tsp (10 ml) Vanilla Extract
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) treacle
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) water
- 2-1/4 cups (525 ml) self-rising flour
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) Raw Sugar
- Generous 1 cup (225 ml) butter softened
- 6 eggs beaten
- In saucepan combine mixed fruit, prunes, mango or papaya.
- Add the brandy, rum, port, cherry brandy, apple pie spice, vanilla, salt, treacle, and 4 tbsp (60 ml) of water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 15 min.
- Set aside to cool.
- Leave overnight or cover and chill for 1 week.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees (125 C.) F.
- Grease an line a 9 in x 9 in cake pan.
- Sift the flour into large mixing bowl.
- Add the raw sugar, soft butter, and eggs.
- Beat until well combined.
- Fold in the macerated fruitmixture gradually.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Do not level the surface.
- Bake for 3 1/2 - 4 hours till cooked through.
- Place a sheet of waxed paper over the cake after 3 hours if it appears to be browning to quickly.
- Cool cake in pan for 45 min then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
- Wrap in waxed paper and store in airtight container.
- Store for 1 month if possible for best flavor.
- Decorate before serving with more candied fruits and glazed nuts if desired.
- Someone requested the ultimate fruit cake last month but I just now found this recipe.
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.