Print Friendly Recipe
- William Bohannon
- 1/4 Cup (60 ml) of fried ham drippings
- 1/4 Cup (60 ml) fine chopped onion
- 3 Tbs (45 ml) flour
- 1-1/2 Cups (350 ml) water or ham stock
- Heat drippings.
- Add flour and brown lightly.
- Add onions and stir.
- Brown flour and onions lightly.
- Add liquid all at once.
- Mix well with fork or whisk.
- Simmer to desired thickness.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper, red pepper.
- Red eye gravy was invented in a truck stop by a waitress. She made it by thickening the grease that was left on the grill in the late night hours for her truck driving customers. Her grease was a mixture of Ham, Bacon, Sage sausage, Smoked Sausage, Pork Chop, Chopped Beef Sirloin. She served the gravy over thick white grits and biscuits.
|Email This To A Friend
Copyright ©1997-2018 by Synergetic Data Systems Inc. All rights
SDSI neither endorses nor warrants any products advertised herein. All
recipe content provided to SDSI is assumed to be original unless identified
as otherwise by the submitter.
SDSI provides all content herein AS IS, without warranty. SDSI is
not responsible for errors or omissions, nor for consequences of improper
preparation, user allergies, or any other consequence of food preparation
Send comments to
our email. For
more information, check our About
the Cookbook page.